Trying to serve as an advisor or coach is very difficult when you’re not able to be there every day. I work until 5 PM Monday through Friday, so I can’t make it to your regular after school practice times. I will be able to make it to most, hopefully all, of your meets, though I might be late for some. I have a few ideas of how I’m going to try and work around this problem.
I hope to be able to do our main speedwork session each week on Saturday mornings, when I would be able to be present to supervise them. This way I can make sure that we’re doing them properly and also to guage how well you’re doing them, to get an idea of how fast you can be, and how much work you can handle. This depends on the teams ability to be there for these workouts. Saturday morning practices are not mandatory, but these workouts are probably the most important of the week. It is strongly encouraged that you come. If most of the team can commit to these, this will work, but if not, it makes things more difficult.
I’m also going to rely on you for team leadership. I’m going to give you guys a plan for the workouts to do and I’m going to entrust your seniors with things like leading your warm-ups, choosing routes, and making sure everyone understands the workout. But everyone has to hold themselves accountable for doing the work they’re supposed to do. If you don’t do it, you’re shorting yourself and your teammates.
Finally, I have set up this blog (I hate that word by the way) and e-mail account to help us communicate during the week. The blog will be strictly one-way. I will post workout plans and other things I might want to communicate to you on there. If you need to communicate, I have set up an e-mail address that you can send to. Feel free to write to it with any questions, or just to share how your training is going. I will try to check it at least once a day. I will also put up links to various other running websites for those who are interested in reading or learning more, or maybe just want to watch some video of some good races such as the last Olympics. The e-mail is mortondistanceguys@gmail.com